Protocol In Event of Emergency/Crisis
1. Ensure that you and your family are safe.
2. Assess the situation and then proceed with one of the following:
- give the person time to calm on his/her own. If possible maintain a calm, quiet environment.
- call one of the information or crisis line numbers listed if you think they are applicable.
- call family and friends to care for other family members if required.
- call 911 if you cannot transport person to hospital and make arrangements to follow or accompany ambulance.
- if you can transport patient go to Cambridge Memorial or Grand River Hospital Emergency room – have basic information, medications and money for parking meters with you.
3. Reassure the person that is in crisis. “I’m here to help”, “I’d like to know how I can help.”
Create a crisis plan if you believe this could happen again. See our template for creating a safety plan. This includes what to do in crisis and emergency situations.