(Printable version of this page)
Parent’s Guide to Transition: What Happens After High School?
Table of Contents kindly provided by N. Cherry of the Aspire Group
Parents’ Guide to Transition: What Happens After High School?
- 1. What Roles Do Parents Play in Transition?
- 2. Are There Aspects of Transition Planning, Which Only the Family Can Do?
- Power of Attorney
- Sex Education
- Age-Based Legal Milestone
- Personal Identification
- 3. When Should We Begin Planning for Transition?
- 4. How Can We Foster Independence in Our Child with Special Needs
- Independence Day Exercise
- 5. How Long Does Transition Take?
- 6. Practically Speaking, How Does Transition Occur?
- 7. Transition without Services
- 8. Time-Limited Services
- 9. Daily Living Assistance
- 10. What Should I Do If My Child with Disabilities Wants to Go to College?
- 11. Long-Term Support
- 12. Is There Funding Available To Assist With Improvements In Making A House Accessible To
People With Disabilities?
- 13. What Assistive Devices Are Available To Support People With Disabilities?
- Being On a Waiting List for Years Sounds Frustrating. Is There Anything a Parent Can Do to
By-Pass the Waiting List?
- 15. If My Child Is Going to Need Adult Support Services, What Do I Do First?
- 16. Overall, What Are the Most Significant Barriers to Successful Transition?
- 17. What About Attitudinal Barriers?
- 18. What Are Functional Skills?
- Identifying Functional Skills
- 19. What Do We Plan for Transition?
- What Are the Steps in Transition Planning?
- What Exactly Is an Individualized Transition Plan?
- What Should Parents Look for in a “Quality” Individualized Transition Plan?
- 20. How Can Parents Be Involved in Transition Planning
- 21. How Should Students Be Involved in Transition Planning?
- How Can Students Be Involved in Their Own Transition Plan (TP)?
- 22. How Are Self-Determination Skills Best Taught?
- Who Teaches Self-Determination Skills?
- 23. What Is Futures Planning?
- How Does Futures Planning Differ from the IEP Process?
- What Is Involved in a Futures Planning Process?
- What Are the Parts of the Futures Planning Process?
- 24. Summary – Sample Resources