Change lives. Volunteer today.
Volunteers play an integral role in the work kidsLINK does to help children, youth and their families. You can find them working directly with the individuals we serve, helping out behind the scenes–even making key decisions as members of our Board of Directors.
What kidsLINK volunteers have to say:
“The connection you make with the children is very rewarding. I felt like I always went home smiling. I feel that I learned a lot about autism and the many different ways of partaking in communication and interaction with those children.” — Respite volunteer
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Recreational Assistants – One-on-one support for children, 6 to 14 years old, who are experiencing emotional and behavioural challenges. Placements are available in our Residential Treatment Services or Respite Services programs, both located in St. Agatha.
- Administrative Assistants – General administration and special projects, with placements in kidsLINK’s Kitchener and St. Agatha offices.
- Special Events/Fundraising – Assisting with event preparation and the co-ordination of fundraising efforts.
Requirements for volunteers
To be a kidsLINK volunteer, you must:
- want to make a difference in the lives of children
- be looking to share your skills and gain new skills
- be 18 years of age or older (Note: opportunities are also available for high school students, 16 years of age or older, to fulfill hours of community service requirements and Co-op Program placements)
- be able to commit two to four hours a week for three to four months.
Before the scheduled interview, please send a current resume by fax to 519-741-1123, or by e-mail to volunteering@kidsLINKcares.com.
Police Records Check
- A police records check is mandatory to volunteer with our agency (valid within 60 days).
- kidsLINK provides a request letter for the volunteer to take to the Police Department at time of interview. The volunteer then goes to the Region of Waterloo Police Department or your local police department and request a police records check. You will be required to present identification in the form of your driver’s license, birth certificate or passport. Please note, there is a fee for this service, which is the responsibility of the volunteer. The current fee for the Region of Waterloo is $25; however, it may be reduced for volunteer requests. (Please note that this process can take up to four weeks to complete and you will not be able to start your placement until we see the original police records check.)
- All volunteers must now submit a record of immunization prior to their placement.
Additional requirements for a child care setting
- a current (within two years) TB test or the dates of a two-step TB test
- Td Booster (within the last 10 years)
- dates of measles, mumps, rubella immunizations.
This information can be obtained from your local health unit or family doctor. A TB skin test or Td booster can be obtained from your family doctor, a local health unit or campus health centre.
For more information, please call our Volunteer Co-ordinator at 519-741-1122 or e-mail volunteering@kidsLINKcares.com.