Mission, Vision and Values
kidsLINK, a program of Carizon Family and Community Services, is a thriving, dynamic child and family service organization offering a wide range of integrated programs and services. Founded as an orphanage in 1858 by the School Sisters of Notre Dame, today kidsLINK is a registered charity, making an impact on social and emotional well-being by reaching out to children, youth, families, caregivers and related professionals.
It is the mission of kidsLINK, building upon its tradition of service since 1858, to improve the lives of children and families so that they may achieve their potential and be responsible contributing members of their community.
Our work recognizes a child’s right to “affection, love and understanding” *
Our services seek to foster the child’s potential and help the child participate fully in the human community.
*UN Declaration of the Rights of the Child
kidsLINK’s vision is that young people choose wellness, are resilient and heal from trauma.
Why this Vision?
- many children and youth in Canada and globally are traumatized;
- most of those who enter the service systems in Canada presenting with mental health symptoms have experienced severe and recurring trauma;
- few organizations or child/youth-serving professionals are trauma-informed;
- systems of care for children and youth inadvertently contribute to their re-traumatization;
- current funding cannot keep up with the impact of trauma and mental health problems on health, social services and education,
- a holistic wellness approach is a more sustainable and positive way to address health issues than the traditional medical model;
- children and youth themselves, and their parents/caregivers, can contribute effectively to young people’s mental wellness;
- many children are deprived of basic rights that the world, through the United Nations, has endorsed, including the right to mental wellness.
- We will invest in maintaining an organizational culture grounded in our values, which reflect the values and spirit of service of the School Sisters of Notre Dame. Belief in the right and ability of all persons to learn, grow, change and achieve their potential for wellness and well-being, and thus contribute to their communities and a better world, is central to the 2017 vision, and will be extended through:
a) the adoption of a “rights-based” approach to serving children and youth, and
b) a visibly holistic and ecological approach to kidsLINK’s service offerings and operations.
- The belief that youth have wisdom, skills and perspectives that point most directly to the future and are of great value in inspiring and informing kidsLINK’s work will be demonstrated through the involvement of people under the age of 24 years in our governance, planning and operations.
Carizon is a source of hope for our community. When children, youth, adults, couples or families face life’s challenges, Carizon programs and services provide the care and compassion to help them achieve wellness.
Carizon specializes in children’s mental health, youth engagement and development, family violence services, individual and family counselling, parental support and education, credit counselling, workplace resilience, settlement support and community wellness.